How To Bake Sweet Potatoes
When you hear “bake sweet potato,” the first thing that probably comes to mind is potatoes. However, this dish is quite different as it uses a very starchier root vegetable.
As opposed to russet potatoes, sweet potatoes are made of high-starch varieties such as orange or yellow varieties of sweet potato, which can be found in different shapes and sizes.
As sweet potato is not only healthy but also very popular and delicious, you might be tempted to bake it for Thanksgiving or Christmas sides. Learn how to bake sweet potatoes with no fuss.
The post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure.
Things You May Need When Baking Sweet Potatoes
When baking sweet potatoes, aluminum foil can help prevent any leakage of liquids that may cause a mess in your oven.
Suppose you would like to avoid using aluminum foil. In that case, you can put your sweet potatoes on a parchment paper or silicone mat large enough for the entire sweet potato. It doesn’t need to be pre-cut like other vegetables such as asparagus or eggplant, as they naturally retain juices from the inside out.
Cooking spray is golden when it comes to baking because it keeps your food from sticking and burning and makes cleaning so much easier afterward!
How To Bake Sweet Potato: Step-by-step Guide
Below you can find a step-by-step guide for sweet potato baking.
Before you bake your sweet potatoes, it is important to preheat your oven. For the best results, you must be using a cold oven and turn it on 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees Celsius).
Bake small sweet potatoes for 30 minutes or large sweet potatoes for an hour to get your desired texture.
Using Foil Or Parchment Paper
To ensure you do not burn your sweet potatoes, place them on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place a piece of foil or parchment paper on top of each sweet potato and then lightly coat it with cooking spray.
Turning Sweet Potatoes
After the cooking is done, you will notice that your sweet potatoes have turned a light brown color. This is because of the heat from the oven, which makes your oven atmosphere hot enough for them to brown quickly. At this point, you can collect them from the tray using a spatula and place them in a bowl, ready for serving!
Related: How To Bake A Potato
Tips For Baking Sweet Potatoes
Dry For Crisp Skin
For best results, make sure to dry your sweet potatoes for a good 15-25 minutes before baking them and then leave them alone for an hour after they finish cooking. This will make sure that they are dry enough not to stick together.
Use Foil Or Parchment Paper
Use aluminum foil or parchment paper with a bit of perforation to ensure that your sweet potatoes do not stick and fall off the pan. This will greatly reduce how much work you have to put into cleaning up after you are done, which is always a mood booster!
Spike With Fork
To make sure that your sweet potatoes are entirely baked, you can also use a fork at the end of your cooking time to prick holes in them. This will allow the steam to escape and will leave you with a plump, sweet potato that is ready for serving!
How To Bake Sweet Potato In Foil
You can bake sweet potatoes in several ways. This recipe is one of the easiest ways to bake a sweet potato, and it’s also a great way to use up leftover sweet potatoes.
What You Need
- 1 pound medium-size sweet potato.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey.
- A few pinches of salt and pepper.
- The first thing you need to do is rinse, and pat dry your sweet potato, then cut it lengthwise into 4 even pieces by cutting the sides from top to bottom.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil and maple syrup until smooth.
- Lightly season potato with salt and pepper.
- Take each piece of sweet potato, brush them with the maple syrup mixture on all sides, then lay them onto a foil-lined baking sheet individually.
- Then bake in a 375-degree oven for 25 minutes, flip them gently with a spatula or tongs and bake one more 30-35 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Transfer to a plate while you finish up your other sweet potatoes. Serve while warm.
How To Bake Sweet Potato In Microwave
Microwave ovens are incredibly convenient in cutting the time spent to prepare the meal. Using it to bake sweet potatoes can save you a lot of energy, especially when your oven is full.
- Cut each sweet potato into three thick slices.
- Drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil or coconut oil, season with salt and pepper, then toss to coat evenly.
- Season the tops with additional salt and pepper.
- Arrange on parchment paper-lined sheet pan, cut side up, about 1/2 inch apart.
- Microwave on high for 7 minutes or until tender, turning once halfway through cooking time. Serve hot alongside your favorite meat or poultry dish.
How To Bake Sweet Potatoes Fries
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/4-inch thick wedges.
- Add the sweet potatoes, olive oil, paprika, and season with salt in a mixing bowl.
- Mix until all potatoes are evenly coated. Arrange the potato wedges on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a single layer.
- Bake in preheated 425 degrees F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown, flip and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on both sides.
- Serve with your favorite dip or sauce.
How To Bake Sweet Potatoes In Oven
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Clean and scrub the sweet potato under running water, then pat dry with a clean cloth.
- Slice the sweet potato into even wedges, then cut each wedge in half crosswise.
- Add the sweet potatoes, olive oil, paprika, and season with salt in a mixing bowl. Mix until all potatoes are evenly coated.
- Arrange the potato wedges on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a single layer.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 40 minutes or until tender through and crispy on both sides.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
How To Bake Sweet Potatoes In Convection Oven
- Preheat your convection oven to 400F. Unroll the parchment paper and arrange the sweet potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until tender through and crisp on both sides.
- Serve hot alongside your favorite meat dish.
How To Bake Sweet Potatoes In Air Fryer
- Preheat your air fryer to 400F.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch thick wedges. Add the sweet potatoes, olive oil, paprika, and season with salt in a mixing bowl. Mix until all potatoes are evenly coated.
- Place sweet potato fries in preheated air fryer basket and cook for about 15 minutes or until tender through and golden brown, flipping halfway through cooking time.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Other Ways To Cook Sweet Potatoes You May Like
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
What Temperature Should Baked Sweet Potatoes Be?
If you want your sweet potatoes to come out golden and crispy, bake them at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. If you want them more cooked inside while still fluffy on the outside, bake them at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. If you’re looking for an excellent medium, cook them at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Do Sweet Potatoes Take Longer To Bake?
No. The baking time for sweet potatoes is the same as usual potatoes – about 1 hour, 30 minutes. If they are getting overdone, just turn the oven down to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
What Is The Healthiest Way To Cook Sweet Potatoes?
Baking sweet potatoes are probably the healthiest way to cook this vegetable. This is because they are low in calories, high in fiber, and packed with vitamins like Vitamin A and Vitamin C.