Cheesy Potato Burrito Recipe
The post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure.
This is one of my favorite creations ever. I have made them so many times, and they never fail to please. They are quick, easy, and inexpensive if you have potatoes in your kitchen like me!
These potato burritos make a great dinner when you don’t want to spend a lot of time cooking yet still want something nourishing and delicious that fills you up as well as tastes amazing! There is no shortage of ways to make these tasty, cheesy burritos for everyone. Whether you want them flavored with unforgettable ranch or savory barbecue, we have some fun and delicious combos lined up for you to try.
Related: How To Fold A Burrito
Cheesy potato burritos are usually made of baked shredded potatoes, wrapped in tortillas, and filled with various cheeses, vegetables, and sometimes beans. They are then rolled up into a burrito shape and either fried or baked until crispy. You can also use an air fryer or a frying pan to cook these cheesy potato burritos properly.
There are many ways to use this recipe as a side-by-side dish at dinner time or serve as a main dish in your lunch box. You can also make it with cooked chicken or pork if you don’t want vegetarian food.
Cheesy Potato Burrito Recipe
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup canola vegetable, or other neutral oil
- 1 pound Russet potatoes about 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 medium yellow onion cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 rashers crisply cooked bacon broken into pieces
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large 10-inch flour tortillas, warmed through on a dry griddle or cast iron pan
- 2 tablespoons sour cream divided
- 1/4 cup guacamole divided
- Hot sauce of your choice optional
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with a large pinch of salt until homogenous and no visible egg whites remain. Set aside.
- In a medium cast iron or stainless steel skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add potatoes, season with salt, and cook, stirring only occasionally, until lighty brown, about 8 minutes. Lower heat to medium, stir in onion, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, until the mixture is golden and crisp, about 10 minutes longer. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat until foaming. Add eggs and cook, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until eggs have formed curds but are still runny, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cheese and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted and eggs are soft and fluffy, about 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
- Working with one just-warmed tortilla at a time, lay tortilla on a work surface. Spread 1 tablespoon sour cream in a thin, even layer on center of tortilla, leaving about 2 inches of border on either side and 3 inches of border above and below. Top with 2 tablespoons guacamole and spread it around on top of the sour cream. Arrange half the bacon on top of the guacamole.
- Pile half the potatoes on top of the bacon, followed by half the eggs and cheese. Douse with as much hot sauce as you want.
- Fold the tortilla sides in over the filling. Then roll the bottom flap of tortilla up over the filling, holding the sides tight as you roll. Continue rolling until the burrito is sealed. Repeat with remaining tortilla and filling ingredients. Serve right away.
Thank you for visiting my blog! Hope you will enjoy this recipe. If you have any questions or ideas just drop a line and I will answer quickly. You can also check other breakfast and brunch recipes for home cooking.
I hasten to inform that I collect most interesting recipes and publish them easy to follow recipe books. Please check my cookbook collection and choose the books you like the most.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
What Was On The Cheesy Potato Burrito?
The cheesy potato burrito had a base of seasoned ground beef mixed in with russet potatoes, diced tomatoes, corn kernels, and herbs and spices. It was then heaped high with a filling of Mexican cheese to bake until the cheese melted nicely over the meat and vegetables. That’s all that went into this super simple dish. The real star of this meal was definitely the chipotle mayonnaise sauce that was drizzled on top for added flavor.
Is It Hard To Make A Cheesy Potato Burrito?
No, this cheesy potatoes burrito is a breeze to make and tastes great too! Thinly sliced potatoes and onions can cook the skillet supper and then topped with Mexican cheeses, onions, and jalapeno peppers.
It’s a quick dish that’s excellent for those weekends when you want to have something healthy during the day or just as a side for your taco night. It only takes 20 minutes from start to finish so that it won’t take much of your time.
Does Cheesy Potato Burrito Recipe Worth It?
If you’re looking for a quick and easy yet satisfying meal that is sure to leave you feeling full and content, then this recipe is worth it. It’s a delicious and flavorful dish that doesn’t take too long to prepare. Yet another thing you should keep in mind is that this meal packs in the protein.